Sunday, December 16, 2012

Shrimp Fried Quinoa

Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) seems to be all the rage these days. What's the big deal? Well just do a quick internet search on it. It's a superfood! It has protein, lower in carbs than other grains, and is gluten free for those that steer clear of gluten. I'm determined to find ways to incorporate quinoa into more of my dinners.
The easiest way to prepare quinoa is to treat it just like rice. 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa. I personally have a rice cooker and it came out perfect! (You may want to rinse before cooking. I buy it pre-rinsed. But if it's not it can be bitter.) I had it pretty plain, long story of me not getting cilantro at the store, the first night but I decided to experiment with my left overs. I have a great fried rice recipe that I've modified a bit in the past so I decided to give it a go with the quinoa. It was great!! So, without further adieu, (I think that's spelled right)....



Shrimp Fried Quinoa (or chicken, or whatever)
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 tbs coconut oil
2 eggs
1/2 small onion, chopped
3-4 large mushrooms sliced
1/2 cup alfalfa or bean sprouts
Teriyaki sauce or soy sauce, to taste
1/2 cup chicken broth, low-sodium (free-range or organic if you can find it)
3/4 - 1 cup small cooked shrimp (I used the pre-cooked frozen kind thawed out). You can substitute chicken here too.
In a skillet, melt 1/2 tbsp coconut oil and add the eggs. I let the whites cook, then when the whites are almost done pierce the yolks and finish cooking the whole egg. Set aside. Add the rest of the coconut oil, mushrooms, onions, and alfalfa sprouts. Cook till the onions are done. Add the cooked quinoa and chicken broth. Let it cook down a little.
Here is where you add to your liking. I add a little teriyaki till I get a decent flavor. (Remember, these sauces are not "clean" and are usually full of sodium so use sparingly. I'll keep experimenting for new ways to clean this part up. Suggestions accepted.)
Add your shrimp. The heat from the dish will heat up the shrimp quickly.
Now serve!
This dish is quick to make, extremely filling and will keep you full! Feel free to add other veggies, I'm not a peas and carrots fan but you may be!
Let me know how you like it!
Happy fueling!
~Suzanne
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment