Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Clean Does NOT Mean Boring!!

Well, today was launch day. I'm not the type of person that can do things too gradually, but I'm not an all or nothing person either. I'm somewhere in between. I bet you know what type of person you are too. I think that's key in being successful. I know I have to build in my Sundays and cheese and have a launch day.
This morning did not go exactly as planned (getting home at 3:00 am didn't help.) I had planned on getting up early but I woke up at 10 am. I changed things up a bit but still ate clean. I had boiled egg whites and a clementine for "breakfast" and 1 liter of water. For meal #2 I went ahead with my lunch plan of a Chicken sandwich, Kiwi, and 1/2 liter of green tea.
The term chicken sandwich is a bit misleading. This thing is an explosion of flavors in your mouth, and I even forgot to put basil on it this time! I discovered the basis of my sandwich last time I ate clean in the May/June 2010 issue of the Clean Eating magazine. I have adapted it a bit to my own taste, taking away the tomato and adding spinach. I also put it on whole wheat bread or Ezekiel bread instead of focaccia. It looks like a lot of work but it isn't and it's really quick.
Here's my version...

- 1 chicken breast
- Couple of handfuls of baby Bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp EVOO
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
-2 slices whole wheat or Ezekiel bread
- 1 slice part-skim mozzarella cheese
- spinach leaves (enough for a layer or two)
- 1/8 cup green onions
- Fresh basil (enough for a thin layer)

Preheat oven to 400° and line a cookie sheet with nonstick foil. Cut chicken into 1/2" pieces across the grain. Put the chicken, mushroom slices, rosemary, and thyme into a bowl. In a small bowl, stir oil and vinegar then add to chicken mixture. Mix it up well and spread it out on the sheet. Make sure none of the chicken is touching. Cook for 8 minutes, toss, then 7 more minutes.



Build your sandwich. I put 2 layers of spinach, a layer of basil, sprinkle the green onions, and then add my layer of cheese on the top slice. Next I add my chicken and mushrooms then put the bottom piece on.


I always have left over chicken and mushrooms. Guess what's going in my omelet in the morning? :)
Eating clean does not have to be boring. It's about being creative and using the bounty of good food available. A few herbs and spices don't hurt either.

Happy Fueling!
~ Suzanne


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment