Thursday, June 13, 2013

High Fructose Corn Syrup


SOURCE

High fructose corn syrup or corn syrup seems to be in almost every product we consume today! If you read labels, which you should be reading labels, it should be shocking! Go ahead, go to your cabinets and take a look. Then also notice how many of your foods have sugar in them as an ingredient. Today I want to harp in high fructose syrup (HFCS) though. Many studies have shown that it is downright dangerous to consume. Our bodies just don't process it like we do sugar. Now, there are commercials out there that tell you it does, but biochemistry disagrees. I don't want to bombard you with a ton of articles but here are two that you might find interesting.

This one is a study done with rats. Some were given water sweetened with sugar and others water sweetened with HFCS. I won't spoil the ending.
http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/

This one is just a good article about HFCS. It's longer, but well organized.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/high-fructose-corn-syrup-dangers_b_861913.html

It is really hard to find foods that have no sweetener of some kind in them. Bread, for instance. It is nearly impossible! I'm very close to making my own. You can find it made with sugar instead of HFCS though. One of my goals is to rid my diet of HFCS as much as possible.

I think one of my commitments next month may have something to do with HFCS.

Today's question: Would you commit to one month (July) of not buying anything with a label on it that lists HFCS or corn syrup as an ingredient? You will still probably consume some if you eat out, but it's a start.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting monthly challenge! I just told my hubby the other day that I wanted to try and go for a certain amount of time and not eat anything with an "expiration date" on it. However, I am not sure if I could do a whole month since we seem to travel somewhere each month. I was thinking maybe a week. As far as your challenge in July I will do it with you as long as I can have off July 4! We are running a 10K and my victory dessert is ... full of sugar! I just have to celebrate with my Gigi's RVC and Mountain Dew after the race! Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is really important to have a cheat day in your timeline. This time, mine was my birthday. I'd love to know someone else is doing it with me!

    ReplyDelete